Monday, March 1, 2010

Stuck on you...



Hi, I’m Cori.  This is my first post for the Indie Sacramento blog.  I thought it’d be fun to compile a list of the heavy-duty craft glues, making an informal glue guide of sorts. Feel free to share your opinions and personal favorites.

Gorilla Glue: People swear by Gorilla Glue.  It’s a general use glue, non-toxic, temperature resistant, sandable & paintable.  I personally have butted heads with Gorilla Glue on several occasions.  It’s that foamy amber colored mess that magically appears when you check on your project a few hours later.  Ugh.  I hear now they have a few new products that are more craft-friendly, such as Gorilla Super Glue or Gorilla Epoxy. 

E6000: is an industrial strength glue that adheres to wood, metal, glass, rubber, leather, and more. This goop glues anything to anything and it dries clear! Sounds like Crafty Cathy’s dream?  Hmmm… it’s highly toxic so you’ll need to wear this

Hypo-cement: is usually used to attach beads to wire in order to create a floating necklace effect.  I imagine it can be used in a zillion other projects where small amounts of strong glue are required. It works best with glass, plastic, metal, & ceramic.  It features a special applicator to dispense micro amounts into bead holes… and says it won’t bond to your fingers!  I like the sound of that!

LocTite Super Glue: I love this stuff.  I especially love that it is a no drip gel and comes in a well-designed applicator…. unlike super glues of the past. It bonds to more surfaces than ordinary crazy glues, including: metal, wood, paper, cardboard, plastic, vinyl, leather, rubber, cork, ceramic, china, textiles, and brick.  If you are like me and seem to always glue your fingers together- try a bit of veggie oil.   I find LocTite at my local hardware store.

Epoxy 330: Ask any jeweler what their adhesive of choice is and they will say Epoxy 330.   The glue is “water clear” and hardens in 10 minutes.  The trouble is that it comes in twos: a resin and a hardener.  You have to mix equal parts of both in a well-ventilated area, and then apply with a disposable paintbrush or tool.  That’s a lot of extra work for the strongest bond available.

Last but not least, I found this invaluable web-tool/resource on glue while I was sniffing around the web:  http://www.thistothat.com/ It is a must-see site for finding the right glue for the right project!

3 comments:

Peptogirl said...

Great blog post!

Cathy @ ShowFoodChef said...

Great post, and I like the part of you "sniffing about glue around the web". Fun humor. Good info!

katie jean said...

great to hear from you Corrie!