Sunday, August 14, 2011

Tree Tour of McKinley Park

McKinley Park was originally known as East Park, and was established by the Sacramento City Railway Co. on land which was formerly a slough of the American River. The Railway Co. helped landscape the area, built a bandstand for concerts and dancing, and set up refreshment stands. Some of the older trees, such as the fan palms, date to this period. However, the venture did not pay

off and the Railway Co. eventually sold the land to the City for $12,500 in 1901.


The park was renamed McKinley Park in honor of President William McKinley, who had been assassinated in 1901. The Clunie Clubhouse and Swimming Pool was added in 1936 from a $150,000 bequest by Florence Turton Clunie. The park today is arguably the most popular and most visited in the city, with a jogging track, 8 lighted tennis courts, pond, and children's playground attracting thousands of adults and kids every year. The park's Rose Garden is also a very popular attraction, and hosts weddings nearly every weekend in the spring and
summer months.

Source: Sacramento Tree Foundation

Sunday, September 11, 2011
10:00 AM

Mc Kinley Branch Library
601 Alhambra Boulevard
Sacramento, CA 95816

More info
Sacramento Tree Foundation

No comments: