Monday, June 16, 2014

A differnt kind of thrift store

I first read about the Habitat for Humanity ReStore a few months back - a DIY blogger was talking about purchasing materials there and mentioned that there are other locations around the US. I checked out the website and found they have a store in Sacramento!


According to the website:
Habitat for Humanity ReStores are nonprofit home improvement stores and donation centers that sell new and gently used furniture, home accessories, building materials, and appliances to the public at a fraction of the retail price.  Habitat for Humanity ReStores are proudly owned and operated by local Habitat for Humanity affiliates, and proceeds are used to build homes, community, and hope locally and around the world.

I finally got a chance to check it out last weekend, and while they didn't have anything I need at the moment, I can definitely say I'll be back. The store was filled with some new, but mostly used (but still good!) furniture, light fixtures, bath fixtures, windows, mirrors, kitchen cabinets, patio furniture, doors and lots and lots of tile (at $1 per square foot).

As a crafter and DIYer, I have seen many cool projects over the years that just aren't practical if you don't happen to have a spare door lying around or spare wood scraps or whatever. Now I know where to buy a wooden door (for cheap!) if I want to make a table out of it (I'm thinking rustic patio table). They also had a stack of veneered wooden boxes (I'm guessing they are drawers without holes drilled in them for hardware)that would make some kick-butt shadow boxes for someone's home.

\
Habitat for Humanity Re-Store
819 N. 10th Street
Sacramento, CA 95811

ReStore Hours of Operation
Tuesday - Friday 9am-6pm
Saturday 10am-5pm
Closed Sunday and Monday

For more info, visit: http://www.shfh.org/doc.asp?id=17
 
Photos taken from Sacramento's Habitat for Humanity ReStore Facebook page.

No comments: